And is gone now

Why does love have to lie?
Why do the lights go out at night
And everything beautiful gets swallowed
Into darkness,
Into hatred

Hippiechick
12-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Manic, first off- I love Damien Rice and I'm so excited you have him as your quote! I just got the CD like a month ago.. anywho, on to your song-

I was drawn in by the title. I love it! Did you think of the title before or after you wrote the words? I always wonder that about poets. Sometimes it's easier to start off if you have the title, on the other hand, sometimes it's more of an expression to find it within the words.

I liked the repitition with the "Fallen, bruised and Broken" line. Very cool!

-Megan

dreammagic
12-05-2003, 08:32 AM
Sarah, you present a pessimistic but also realistic view of the world here. The chorus in particular stands out. I like the way you've told this story and avoided the cliches that are sometimes found in this type of song, and also I like the little descriptive elements which make this girl empathetic, e.g. "This girl in dirty jeans/ Is down on her knees".

Good to see you posting here again.

Phil

Lady Arduriel
12-05-2003, 11:37 AM
this almost made me cry...for reasons I can't even talk about.

too great for words.

manic
12-08-2003, 02:19 PM
Aw, thanks everyone!

Hippichick, Damien Rice is amazing and I find his lyrics very inspiring...
I actually only thought of the title when I had to write one in the title bar to post my lyrics here, it was untitled before that. I thought it was fitting to the lyrics, rather than it really being enclosed in the lyrics or the lyrics written around the title.

Dreammagic, It is very pessimistic aint it? I wanted to write something pretty and raw, I was listening to PJ Harvey before hand which may have something to do with it. I don't like the cliches you usually get to soften a song like this, but I do try to include little details, like that line you quoted, cause I think it gives a song its character.

Lady, glad you enjoyed it and that it meant that much, that's what I was aiming for (but not in a bad way...)

Thanks for your comments, they really mean a lot to me :)

-sarah

Brittney L
12-09-2003, 06:00 PM
I guess that now makes 3 of us that are big Damien Rice fans.

I was also going to quote the big that Phil did
"Bruised and broken
This girl in dirty jeans
Is down on her knees"

As he said, you did avoid the cliche and you added so much more to this with the middle line instead of saying "bruised and broken, down on my knees", you're very good at such things.

Enjoyed, as always
Britt

Dandylion
12-11-2003, 02:30 PM
This is a very powerful piece filled with images and emotions...spoke to me greatly...I loved it~Dandy

Mantraschism
06-15-2004, 08:26 PM
I enjoyed these lyrics. My favorite part would be the first chorus; all the lines just are so good there. Do you have the music for this? Even though I know it's not, I could see this as being some sort of a metal song. I.E., growls/screams here and there, and vulnerable soft vocals in other places. Just the way I see it, because it seems to contain the raw feeling that growling and screaming encompass, as well as the vulnerability of soft singing.

manic
06-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Ryan!

This is so old! Why on earth are you dragging this back from the past, although it's nice to see, cause I forget about the songs I don't record.

There was a tune to this in my head. Funnily enough it was kind of angry with a bit of growly type 'scratchy, scrapey' singing that some girl vocalists do. I didn't record it because I thought my rubbishy guitar playing in the background would ruin that image for me and everyone else. I can imagine this with softer music and a loud drum/guitar chorus. Would love it!

Thanks for the blast from the past
-sarah