Arcanum Cafe  
  Home - Community - Audio - Library - Links - Store - Support  

Go Back   Arcanum Cafe - Forums > General > On The Bookshelf

On The Bookshelf Forum for the discussion, review and analysis of books, such as your favorites, what you're currently reading, etc.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
lady_alainn
Comicaholic

Default Discussion of The Dark Tower Series (SPOILERS!!)

For anyone reading this thread, I'm warning you. Do not continue to read this if you don't want the ending of the book spoiled for you. Don't come back and tell me I didn't warn you because I have!!!

I shot through book seven of The Dark Tower in less than 48 hours...well, maybe 36, but it was a big book! I think the ending was as it should be. Roland is a character that is not fit for a neat and clean ending, and we all know that the next time around the wheel of ka will be his last. I began reading the series when I was nine, I kid you not, and now that I'm 26, I appreciate what King is trying to do with this series. Yes, it has drastically changed itself from its inception, but I still think the organic-ness of the plot works well.

When it became evident that he was writing a novel about writing novels, I knew it had taken a purely King-esque turn. Only he could write himself into his own book for pete's sake!! The ending, to me, was as it should have been. And, although I really hate to admit this, I cried when Oy died. I really did. Poor sweet little thing..."Oland..." My husband came home and laughed at me, but I just couldn't help it. I've been attached to these characters most of my life, but I think the way King wrote the ending into a happy one (for the most part) really worked as a whole. I guess he saw that not even he had the power to write the reward at the end of the tower, so he slipped us the next best thing. The horn bit was genius...he wrote about that way back in book four, so it wasn't as if he cheated us out of something. Overall, I think it was a fine book to be his last. Everyone tell me if you agree!
lady_alainn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:00 PM   #2
lady_alainn
Comicaholic

POST FROM Mantraschism

I finished The Dark Tower a little over a week ago. What a tearjerking book! It was bitter. One thing that bothered me: what the hell was with Susannah? Why did she just cop out? And poor Oy, my third favorite character (Roland, then Jake, then Oy). T_T Yeah, I'd definitely say it was bitter.

As for the ending.... I wasn't sure how to react. I think they only way I DID react while I was reading was, 'WTF?'. It didn't seem conclusive, but at the same time, it seemed right. So I don't know what to think of the ending. But with the Stephen King books I've read, it seems like that: he builds up a story, it's getting really damn good... and then there's just some ending. The Stand was bad about that. I don't know....

Ryan

P.S. And, for the record, I too cried when Oy died. I cried like a baby, and I cried like a baby when Jake died, too, and even when Eddie died, but not as much. But ake and Oy.... T_T T_T T_T
Old 10-10-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
lady_alainn
Comicaholic

Well, Susannah saw that she was not destined to go to the Tower's gates. There was no door at the top with "Susannah" emblazoned across it....All three of the others died to get Roland to where he was going, but she didn't. I'd be interested in why Stephen King wrote it that way. And also why the sketch artist came into the plot so convienently.

My mind is left to wonder if Jake, Susannah, Eddie, and Oy will be Ka-Tet once more for Roland's last trip from Mid to End World. Will he draw a new set of three? It seemed as if the three, united in an alternate universe, were done with their journeys. However, they were all drawn from the same New York in this version, different times, but same world. Tell me what you think of that. (The sketch artist, for example, could be drawn the last time around.)

Roland is just such a facinating character. I wanted to shake him at times, but when Jake died, his emotion was so intense that I actually had to put the book down. Watching him grow from heartless gunslinger to loving father was a nice trip...almost as nice as the journey itself. Quite the dynamic character, my popkin and astin loving Roland. He of the ice blue eyes. **sigh** When he was screaming everyone's names to the tower...."AND YOU WILL OPEN TO ME!" It was like I could hear the music from the orchestra swelling in the background! I'd been waiting twenty years to hear him speak those words, and to know that he gets to speak them again is well worth the somewhat unsatisfying ending. I mean, honestly, who can grasp what resides at the top of that fantastic tower? I'd almost rather not know.